Sunday, February 3, 2013

Multitasking v. Monotasking -Seth Rhoden

I was very intrigued by the TED talk on multitasking vs. mono tasking. I myself am an ardent believer in being able to multitask and be responsible for many different things going on at once. However, Paolo presented some interesting points in his talk and some that I think should be taken to heart by us today. One area I definitely struggle with multitasking is honestly a place that I shouldn't be trying to multitask in. Whenever I am sitting at home doing homework, I'll have whatever I'm working on in front of me. Along with what I'm supposed to be working on, I'll have my phone (talking to 2 or 3 people most likely), my iTunes open and the headphones in, my Facebook and Twitter feeds rolling (because honestly we all know they are more interesting to read than our textbooks), and many other distractions along with those. In fact, music is playing right now while I'm typing and I just replied to a text. See? So for my task I decided to turn off the music and put the phone away so that I could finish writing this blog assignment for Ms. Mahoney. It definitely isn't easy to eliminate those distractions because I am a huge lover of music and enjoy listening to it while I do pretty much anything. From a productivity standpoint I think that there is a huge increase in how productive you CAN be without those distractions. The extra tasks I usually do alongside homework can be done also but they severely inhibit the productivity of something you are working on because for example in the five minutes you take reading Facebook posts, you could've been another paragraph or a few more problems along in your work. Now I do believe that multitasking is definitely a necessity in some areas. Anyone who is in charge of a company or responsible for many areas of an organization obviously needs to have good multitasking skills because without them they wouldn't succeed in those areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment