Monday, February 11, 2013

Research Paper


The topic I have chosen for this paper is that there should be a constitutional amendment allowing gay marriage. This topic especially interests me because I was involved in two prominent modern dance companies in high school and danced with people twice my age. Of course, in the dance world there are gay and lesbian couples and it has always seemed unfair to me that, though they have had longer relationships than I had ever had, they could not get married in many states. I had never really had a stance on gay marriage until I became friends with men and women who these laws directly affected.  Some questions that will guide my research will be focusing on states that have already made legislation that allows gay marriage. Additionally, I will discuss the right of marriage and morals of the law themselves. Furthermore, I will research what will be needed in taking steps toward a constitutional amendment allowing gay marriage. Some sources that I will use are Civil Marriage v. Civil Unions in the National Organization for Women and the case of Brown V. Board of Education discussing that the doctrine of “separate but equal” has no place and that separate is inherently unequal. My hypothesis is that it should be a constitutional right to for gays and lesbians to marry because the government cannot deny a group of people a right that is given to another group of citizens. Additionally, society cannot impede on another person’s life, liberty, or property, without due process of law because of the 14th Amendment. Readers of this essay will hopefully see a different side of this issue that they have not considered before. The bigger goal, however, is to hopefully convince the audience that it is necessary to allow gays and lesbians to marry.

No comments:

Post a Comment