Sunday, February 3, 2013

Emily Griffin Monotasking


I was very interested in this TED talk and what Paolo Cardini had to say on multitasking and monotasking. I have never thought about the term monotasking before and I find the concept extremely interesting. After taking the time to sit back and think about all of the distractions in my life I agree with Cardini’s ideas. Although multitasking can be a very efficient tool sometimes, we could definitely be more productive throughout the day if we did away with all of the distractions. I know that if I turned my phone off and did not allow myself to look Facebook when writing an essay, I could finish it in half the time. After watching Cardini’s TED talk I attempted to monotask by sitting down and simply listening to a song on my iPod. In just those short three to four minutes my phone went off, my roommate came in the room, and I had the urge to check facebook. I think that with so many distractions available it is very difficult to eliminate them all. It is hard to just focus on one thing and not worry about anything else. For me unless I am asleep, I am constantly thinking about more than one thing at a time. I think that the activity determines how many distractions there are. For example, in class when I am bored I always catch myself checking my phone or looking at Facebook. However, when I am doing something I enjoy, like horse back riding, there a little to no distractions. I think that the world today is in such a rush, that no one thinks they have the time to only focus on one task. If people slowed down and applied the concept of monotasking more, they would be able to live a more productive, relaxed, and meaningful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment