Monday, February 4, 2013

Monotasking vs. Multitasking


After watching this video by Paolo Caraini about multitasking verses monotasking I realized that I normally mono task on more important things like homework and I multitask then I am doing things like watching TV.  For me I am easily distracted so I can’t have the TV on while I’m trying to do homework, which is the opposite of my roommate; she prefers to have the TV on while studying or doing pretty much anything. On the other hand if I am just watching TV I almost always have something else going on: texting, checking Facebook, or on Pinterest.
I do normally have my phone with me all the time and will text while I’m trying to do homework. I decided to put my phone up while doing this assignment and have found myself not looking down and wondering if I have a message. By monotasking, it allows me to concentrate more on what I am working on and it allows me to get the assignment done faster. Without the distraction of having my phone with me I can fully concentrate on the post; and I know that without the distraction I will be able to get it done faster.
While I see no problem with multitasking when watching TV, I do think that it is much more efficient to try not to multitask while doing things that you need to focus more on such as reading, driving, cooking, and doing homework. I am glad to be able to say that I am much more of a monotasker than a multitasker, and I think that every once and a while people should try not to handle doing so many things at once. While it may seem more effective, it can actually limit the work that you get done and possibly the effectiveness of what you are doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment