Monday, February 4, 2013

Rachel Rogers Monotasking


This assignment actually came at a very ideal time because I have so much I need to get done and I have a tendency to get distracted very easily. The task I chose to do today without getting on my phone or any social networking sites was my homework.  Usually when I am doing homework or studying, every few minutes I will stop and pick up my phone and just mess around and waste time. In the moment I do not see it as a problem but if you sit back and think about it, these little breaks on my phone can make my homework and studying time a lot longer and less productive. I also don’t realize that every time I take a break, when I return to working it takes even longer for my brain to refocus on the task at hand. So as I worked on homework this morning without using my phone or taking any breaks I got a lot done. The flow of things was faster, I didn’t have to stop and think about what I was actually trying to accomplish. With no interruptions homework seemed much smoother. This isn’t to say that it was easy for me to avoid getting on my phone or on social networking sites.  It is almost like habit and instinct to just stop what I am working on and pick up my phone. My brain doesn’t even process what I am doing. This is a problem in and of itself. I feel that monotasking might be harder for me when doing other things though like cleaning my room. Homework and studying is something that has to be done so in a way it is easier for me to just put my phone away and make myself focus because it is necessary. In activities like cleaning my room, there is not like a due date and it won’t affect my grades in college so it is easier for me to get distracted and to get on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment