Monday, March 4, 2013

logan smith


I think the only real issue anyone would have with my topic (dealing with giving money to third world countries and non-profit organizations working to deal with certain issues within those third world countries) would be to say that money could be better allocated to other areas. I understand that a lot of people disagree that it’s America’s responsibility to provide for these countries, but at the same time, we can look at pointless statistics that affirm that Americans aren’t going to spend money wisely whether we’re giving it toward third world countries or simply using that money to eat ice cream or buy pet food. Apparently, over five billion dollars were spent on ice cream in 2009 and an average of over $45.4 billion dollars are spent on pets (food, maintenance, veterinary bills, etc.) each year. With statistics like these, and DON’T get me wrong – I’m not saying it’s wrong to indulge in ice cream or to have pets – that isn’t what I’m saying at all. I’m just saying that the main issue people probably have is being reluctant to give, or thinking that their money doesn’t make a difference when in actuality, it makes all the difference in the world. Perhaps people are all for a difference being made in the lives of these people, but they just don’t feel the need to contribute to these causes themselves – they’ll just let someone else do it. Or perhaps it goes back to believing that there are just better things to spend your money on. And while I don’t believe that giving to nonprofits are the only reasonable and rational thing to do with your money, I disagree that there are plenty of other organizations out there better to give to. People are just super concerned with where their money goes, and that’s totally fine – I think before they become skeptical or critical to give to an organization that helps a third world country, however, they should analyze their own spending habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment