Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The art of asking

I really enjoyed this video. The way the woman talked about how she simply gave someone something by seeing them or by talking to them was beautiful. I love to talk to people especially those I don't already know. I literally meet at least one new person a day. Each one of them adds a little something to my life simply by them telling me something about them. I can sometimes relate, and others I can't at all. It only makes me happy to see that they are happy to tell me something and that I listen to them. The woman talks about how people would open their homes to her and her band so that they could sleep for the night. I thought that this was such a kind and simple act, yet it was so much more than that. The woman talked about a young girl whose family were all undocumented immigrants and how the girl loved their music so much. The family thanked the band for staying with them, while in most cases it would have been the other way around. I love how all the woman had to do was ask and she would receive. Asking is so simple, yet so hard for some people. I think a lot of people fear the rejection that they will receive, but that's really the worst thing you can receive and it's not that bad. You can get so much more from simply asking something. I was in the dinning hall the other day and I saw one of the special ed students struggling to open a bag of bread. I had wanted to know this boy because my sister is special needs and these individuals are some of the kindest people you could ever know. I simply asked him if he would like some help and for a moment we shared a conversation about how those bread bags are darn hard to open! It just made me happy to see him smile when I asked to help and I know that he enjoyed our pointless, yet so meaningful conversation. I thought this was one of the most informative and interesting Ted talks that we have had to listen to. The beginning was my favorite part where the woman talked about being a living
statue. I have always found those people to be a little strange and weird. I would think, get a real job, just like the woman said many people would yell at her from their cars. The more she talked about doing this, the more I thought it was a real job and she was being a working member of society. She saw the people who weren’t often seen. I know what it’s like to want to be seen and no one will look. I think this woman is amazing and very kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment