Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Never Say Never



“Never Say Never” is a film that follows the career of Justin Bieber, from receiving his first drum set to his 2010 concert tour. The documentary shows and details the highs, lows and everything in between of Bieber’s life. I think the film is basically trying to build a larger fan base and build respect from viewers. For me, what initially grasps my attention is my love of Justin Bieber. The first thing that may interest the viewer is the title, “Never Say Never.” It is definitely a title that gets you thinking about what is to come, and the phrase basically says “don’t give up,” – potentially foreshadowing an inspirational film. The beginning of the film may also help draw the viewer in. At the beginning of the film, we are looking at an apple computer screen and are taken to the computer’s mail. After watching a few popular youtube videos from links via email, we are taken to the youtube page with the username, “kidrauhl.” The film then shows a youtube video of 13-year-old Justin Bieber singing the song With You, by Chris Brown. And he is good! The next series of film go back and forth between the youtube video and Bieber getting ready for a concert on his My World tour. The viewer is drawn in by the popular youtube videos, the music, and the excitement of a concert. The film appeals to the emotions of the viewer by telling them about Bieber’s childhood and family, rise to fame, and the excitement of an actual concert. The film also appeals to ethos by using opinions of stars such as Usher, Miley Cyrus, Sean Kingston, and Ludacris – all of whom have worked with Bieber. Bieber’s childhood history is backed up with stories from family, friends and lots of home videos. Although I am biased, I am definitely convinced of the film’s argument. I loved Justin before and although I don’t love his music as much as I used to, I definitely have a lot of respect for him and his career. For anyone who hasn’t seen the film, you DEFINITELY should watch it (it’s on Netflix). You may not necessarily like him, but you will definitely gain respect for Justin Bieber. 

No comments:

Post a Comment